Sunday, July 13, 2008

Staging in DC

I'm in DC, finally starting the transition to S Africa!

I left Chicago at 9 this morning and saying goodbye was just as hard as expected- but in the past few years I have been slowly conquering my tears, sp today turned out to not be that bad! Certainly I cried, but not too much:-)
I can't even wrap my head around the idea of leaving for 2 years, so I mentally just thought I'm saying goodbye for now, but I'll see everyone soon.
In any case tonight I just need some time to relax, so I'm reading Disgrace, writing in my journal, and going to sleep early. Tomorrow I plan on going out and socializing with all the great new people I met today! There are 44 of us, from all across the country. There were more than a few people from California and North Carolina- 2 young married couples and one older couple - many people 22-28 i would say- many teachers, as is to be expected, but then a few random majors
Once we leave here Monday it's off to receive vaccinations, then 17.5 hours to SA- 4 days in a dorm, then to the host families homes where we stay during the 8-12 weeks of training. I won't have internet or a phone for these first few months, but I will have a lot going on so that's good. Onto my book now. . .write if you want to know more about anything. peace

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, Moll, glad you made it safely. Keeping you in our prayers and proud of what you are taking on. Good luck.
Dave Nies

Kelli said...

I miss you, girl. Be safe.

<3 kell