Thursday, January 22, 2009

Gobama!

On Tuesday I asked my learners if they knew what historical event was taking place that day. The first student I called on said one word, “Obama.” Thanks to television advertisements the inauguration was known throughout my community. Not until I arrived home did I learn that it was going to be broadcast live on one of the three channels my family gets. It turns out all three of the channels are owned by the South Africa Broadcasting Corporation (SABC1, SABC2, SABC3). Generally I grimace at these channels due to their power, manipulation, and mind games. But on Tuesday I took all my cruel words back- at 6:00 SABC2 broadcast live coverage of the greatest transition I have seen.

I sat down in my family’s family room and for the first time since the election I watched TV. As I sat alone on the velour couch I began sweating and sticking to the couch in the darkness of the evening. I saw Dick in his wheelchair and laughed, Aretha with her big bow and I laughed, Yo yo ma and company and I began getting goosebumps. By the time Obama’s nervous words were being spit out for his oath I was unsure whether I tasted the salt of my tears or sweat. Just as he took the podium to speak my host father took a seat. We were both shocked at the 2 million people gathered. How I wish I was one of them. I cannot think of words to describe the pride I have in my country, my president, and our nation’s future.

I remember being very young and thinking the Peace Corps sounded like a cool idea. When I finally applied over a year and a half ago I just thought it was a natural transition. Now, only now now do I feel ridiculous pride in my being an American abroad.

Wednesday morning I was greeted by my principal with an extended handshake and by the assistant principal saying “Congratulations Mr. President.” (This phrase has been repeated dozens of times already!) Today, Thursday at school I entered the boardroom (where the makes eat) and heard several comparisons between our inauguration and those that have occurred here. For one, nobody understands that Obama was reading a teleprompter. They were amazed at his ability to memorize (“. . . I mean did you see the woman after him, she couldn’t even memorize a short poem!”) Then they were amazed that he only spoke for 15 minutes or so; here the president would speak for hours. Then there was the comparison between Obama and Mandela (support from the people, black president, symbolism of freedom). Finally, how could the Americans not give applause to the orchestra musicians . . . not even sound. Again I had to explain that the microphones were probably to blame . . . I’m sure the crowd was deafening.

I am so looking forward to the next 4 years!

2 comments:

Kelli said...

i am so proud of our country and barack's first week -- i immediately thought of you in the peace corps when he lifted the Mexico City gag rule and all the countries that would benefit from family planning.

love you girl!

M said...

Justice Roberts messed up the oath. He was probably just resenting inaugurating a liberal president! I'll call you sometime this week, miss you bunches!