Friday, January 16, 2009

Traditional Medicine

I have not stepped on the middle step of the staircase in my parent’s home since I was very young. It began as a superstition and now it’s just habit. Even if I am washing the steps or carrying a towering load of laundry I skip the step.

In South Africa I find people hold superstitions to be God-given truths. As I mentioned in a previous blog there are ideas that eating out of a pot means it will rain on your wedding day- if you sweep dust onto a man he will never get married.

Then there are great powers that people give to their ancestor’s spirits. My host father built a rondeval because his ancestors came to him in a dream. People wear bracelets and/or anklets because their ancestors will cure illness if they wear such things and then perform rituals. (I currently am sporting an anklet and it’s been the topic of many conversations. I just say it’s part of my culture.)

Well my favorite teacher, Renilwe, has been wearing large bracelets and anklets since I met her. She always dresses in long skirts and wears a head scarf. Last year she told me she wears such things because her ancestors make her. On Monday we were reunited and I noticed she looked exhausted. Upon discussion I come to find out she spent the entirety of her summer vacation at a “seminar.”

Heres the story: 2 years ago her ancestors came to her in a dream and put this illness upon her. It was to drain her of energy and make her tired until she finally “took care” of the problem. So this summer she decided she didn’t want to be bound to the ancestors anymore. She ventured to a nearby town and found a traditional doctor. He said there was enough space for her to study with him for the remainder of the vacation. She immediately dropped everything- went home- collected a few clothes- and called her mother “I’m leaving, find out who will care for my children.”

For a month she slept on the ground and did not leave a small room except at dusk to find certain herbs. The doctor taught her what herbs treat what symptoms and how to grind different plants together for treatments. She also prayed a lot and slept very little. Hence she was exhausted upon returning to school. Now that she has completed the course the coming months will allow her to blossom and return to the old, happy Renilwe. Her bracelets and anklets will be cut off and her spirit will be free of the burdens.

Here’s the corker. Guess how much she paid for this “seminar.” R10,000! Eish!

No comments: